About a month ago, I went down to work at the US Airbase in Spangdahlem, Germany. The Embry-Riddle assistant director was leaving and they needed someone to fill-in for a couple weeks. While there, I decided to do some sight-seeing in the area (not to mention play lots of golf!).
My first stop was Luxembourg, which is about an hour away from the base. I had heard about the American Military Cemetery there and wanted to see General Patton's grave. I picked a good day and time to visit, because there were only a handful of people there.
| sign on main road |
| entrance gate to cemetery |
| General Patton |
| Nancy Leo, a nurse in the US Army |
Many of the headstones have the Star of David for Jewish soldiers who gave their lives.
There are also several unknown graves.
| "Here rests in honored glory a comrade in arms known but to God" |
I did not have time before the cemetery closed to go see the "Band of Brothers" from Easy Company who are buried there, so I will have to save that for another time.
| location of Easy Company members buried in the cemetery |
The American Military Cemetery is located just outside the Luxembourg City, so after it closed I headed into the city. And what an adventure! I was given a map and exact directions to the best parking garage in the city, and I still ended up driving around in circles with no idea where I was for about half an hour! At one point I got stuck in the middle of an intersection on a red light with cars coming at me and honking. Thankfully the people behind me left enough space for me to back up. They must have seen the German license plate on my car...!
I finally found a place to park and walked downtown. There was some sort of party going on, which I found out was a pre-game party for the Luxembourg/Ireland soccer game. Apparently all the Irish and British people in Luxembourg came out for it, because I heard English everywhere.
| Irish party in the city square |
Post a Comment
Beautiful cemetery, isn't it? Such a peaceful place to honor our soldiers. Glad you were able to visit there.
Post a Comment