Once again, God has provided for me in even greater ways than I could have imagined! About a month ago I started looking for someplace to live. The wonderful Christian couple I have been staying with all summer are going to have their baby in a couple weeks, so I needed to vacate the nursery before the baby arrives. But finding an apartment around here has proven more difficult than I thought. I couldn't use the German website I had used to find places in Würzburg, because Geilenkirchen is out in the country and there really aren't any students here who need roommates. Plus, I kind of wanted my own space.
I started at the American Housing Office on base. All they had were houses, because all the Americans stationed out here get a housing allowance and want to live in a house. It makes sense. The only apartment they had for rent was out of my price range.
Then Jonathan's neighbor had a co-worker who had been living in a fully-furnished apartment and was leaving. So Jonathan and I went over to look at the place and met with the German landlady. She is a really sweet old lady who lives alone, and the apartment is above her house with a separate entrance. She talked to me in German for a long time and really wanted me to move in. Other than having old-lady furniture (you know what I mean) and no fridge, it was a great place with lots of space. It didn't have as much light as I would like and the floor plan was a little strange, but it would have worked. Everything except internet was included in the monthly price, but the rent was slightly out of my price range and there was a hefty deposit.
So, I went to the Billeting Office on base where they have a housing list for all the other nations. I called everyplace on there that was in my price range, but most had already been rented out.
Then a co-worker told me about a long-term stay hotel-like place that people usually use when they are moving to or leaving this base. I looked up their website and saw that the nightly rate was
really expensive! But I contacted them anyway. They got back to me right away and we set up a meeting a couple days later. As it turns out, they are a Christian couple and I had actually met them at an event at the beginning of the summer! Jonathan and I came over and they showed us the apartment and talked through all the details. The price they offered was still slightly out of my price range and I thought it was not going to work. So I mustered up the courage to ask if they would consider lowering the price just a little in exchange for me doing some work around the place. Not only did they lower the price to the exact amount I had in mind, but they said they will actually take rent OFF for the days that they are on vacation and need me to watch the place for them!
Apparently they have been looking for a long-term renter for a while. Most people stay here 30-60 days, but I will be staying here at least 6 months, and probably longer. It will give them peace of mind to know that someone is here watching their dogs, taking out the trash, and checking guests in/out if need be. I was so excited to move in this past weekend, and they are so excited to have me here!
 |
| front of house view from street |
The house is located in a small town about 8 minutes from Jonathan's house, and about 15 minutes from the base. The first floor consists of an entry, common area/living room/bar, a large kitchen for events, laundry facility, and my apartment.
 |
| view from front door looking at entry |
 |
| common area with tables for guests |
 |
| bar area |
 |
| living room with English television stations |
 |
| laundry area...very important! |
 |
| small nook in front of stairs and my front door |
The second floor contains the other 3 apartments, all of which are fully-furnished. Right now 2 of the apartments are occupied with 2 young couples, both of whom are pregnant and have dogs (not that it matters...I'm just giving details). The third floor is where the owners live.
Everyone here is really nice. And they all have to walk by my door when they enter or leave, so there is plenty of activity. To be honest, it is a little lonely after living with roommates, but I think it will be the perfect arrangement for me. I have my own separate space, not too big, but there are people around and things going on. The Lord just keeps showing me His intention to not only take care of me, but provide for me in abundant ways! I am excited to start this new chapter in my life!
 |
| view of bedroom/living room from front door |
 |
| other side of bedroom/living room with large wardrobe |
 |
| bedroom/living room door leading to kitchen |
 |
| door leading to kitchen |
 |
| kitchen with stove, microwave, and fridge (I bought a used toaster oven) |
 |
| very small table with chairs in kitchen, back door leads to inner courtyard |
 |
| bathroom |
 |
| shower |
I am still trying to get things organized, so please overlook all my messes! Also, sorry about the quality of photos...I took them on my phone. But you get the gist of my new place.
Post a Comment
Proverbs 3:1-6
1. My son (or daughter!),forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Great is Thy faithfulness, O God!!
So happy for you, Valerie! jf
Looks much nicer than the lovely Bowles apt. you and Jenna shared! Happy for you girl!
This is such a blessing! I love hearing how God is working in your beautiful life. I love you and so thankful that you are my friend. xoxox!
Post a Comment