1
I didn't have to work on Monday and have been wanting to go pick blueberries for several weeks now.  After getting lost a couple times (because I accidentally put the wrong address into the GPS app on my phone...), I finally found the big flag with a picture of blueberries that read "blauwe bessen," which means "blueberries" in Dutch.  They gave me 2 buckets and directed me where to park my car.  Everything was very organized and everyone there was only picking down one row.  I was assigned to a specific blueberry bush and told to pick from the outside moving in towards the middle, picking all the ripe ones completely off the bush.


One of the Dutch ladies supervising and helping the blueberry pickers like me was impressed with how well I picked.  I was very thorough and literally picked every single ripe blueberry off my bush.  I was also careful to keep each blueberry in tact and I did not have a single branch or leaf in my bucket.  I think she liked me.


After finishing the first blueberry bush, I was assigned another bush to pick.  But there were way too many blueberries on that one for me to pick by myself.  Once my 2nd bucket was full, I decided to quit for the day.


In total, I spent 2.5 hours picking 6kg (about 13lbs!).  Keep in mind that 500g of fresh blueberries at the grocery store costs almost 4 Euros.  But I paid just 14 Euros for my 6 kilograms!


When I came home, I filled 4 freezer bags with blueberries, gave one to the people I am staying with, put one in the fridge for myself, and put 2 in the freezer to have for wintertime.  The blueberry field is only open until the end of this month, so I may try to go pick a little more before they close.  I can use them in pancakes, muffins, scones, yogurt, smoothies, and most importantly...my annual Christmas stuffed blueberry french toast.

 I LOVE blueberries!


Post a Comment

Anonymous said... August 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Gorgeous berries AND berry picker!! Mmmmmmm, yummy times ahead!

 
Top