We got to know each other a little in the car on the way to the Schweinfurt military base, where Sandra signed me in and drove us to the chapel for PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel). PWOC is a ministry specifically focusing on Protestant women in the US military community. I'm not sure how it all works, but we started off by taking Sandra's two daughters to the nursery and then heading into the chapel with all the other women. We broke up into small groups and just went around the circle saying how we would spend a free day. My answer was "go to Disneyland," of course! Then they had announcements, a Bible verse for the day, prayer in partners, and a devotional (all that lasted about an hour). After that we went into the dining area for socializing, breakfast spread, and most importantly...coffee! Then everyone broke into their various Bible studies of about 10 women. I joined Sandra for the study she leads using a book focusing on women in the Bible. This week the topic was Rahab. The women in the group all read the chapter during the week and then come together to discuss, sharpen, and encourage each other. All the women in Sandra's group were older than me, so I felt perfectly in my element. (As you may know, I feel more comfortable around people older than me.) It was really nice to spend the whole morning with women seeking a deeper relationship with God. Some of the women have husbands currently deployed, so I think PWOC is something good for them to look forward to every week. But because they meet during the work day, female soldiers aren't really able to come, unfortunately.
After a quick stop at the Post Office, we headed back to the Wilson house, which is located in a small town close to Schweinfurt called Hambach. It was a relaxing day playing with Loralynn (age 3) and Tana (age 1, short for "Montana"). Plus, Sandra and I had a lot to talk about! She is from Merced, which is close to Reedley, and she always wanted to study abroad at APU, but never had the opportunity. Her husband Dan was raised all over the world (including a couple years in Germany), because his dad was in the military. After Dan and Sandra got married, they lived in Arcadia for a couple years until Dan was accepted by the Department of Defense to teach military kids in Japan. They were at a Navy base in Japan for 2 years until the position opened in Schweinfurt in 2006, and they've been there ever since!
| Loralynn on our walk |
| 3 APU alums in Germany! |
On Thursday morning, Sandra made whole wheat oatmeal pancakes for breakfast and then we went on another walk. This time we headed to a local large farm that has over 50 horses and teaches children how to ride. They also have rabbits, goats, chickens, ponies, and one giant pig. (Seriously, that thing was disgusting.) We took some carrots along and Loralynn fed them to the horses.
| looking at the rabbits |
| Nutmeg, the family dachshund |
Sandra was really encouraging to me and said it should be easy for me to find a job on a military base. Schweinfurt is actually closing in a year (like Bamberg), so they need temporary workers until then. She used to work for the Public Affairs Office, so she's going to ask around to see if anything is open. I learned a lot this week about how things function on post, and it seems like working for the military might be the easiest way for me to get the ball rolling in Germany. We'll see what God has in store. Until then, I'll just keep researching all possibilities and praying that He shows me the way! And in the meantime, I'm so thankful for new friends!
Post a Comment
How great for you three compatriots to connect! Success on your job search - that would be a great place to work!!
Yes, there's something about APU...it brings people together! I know, hopefully things will work out in Schweinfurt! I already receive a weekly e-mail update with all the civilian jobs available on military bases in Germany, so hopefully something will be a good fit :)
Post a Comment