1
The adrenaline in the air was toxic.  The sun peeked out its head through the clouds just as our race started at 10:50.  We had no idea what we were in for.  We knew it would be challenging.  We knew it would be physically demanding.  But we knew we would all finish together.

Through 18km of running and 20+ obstacles along the way, we worked together as a team.  There is no way I could have physically or mentally made it through the Mud Masters run without my fellow teammates from our CrossFit gym.  We consisted of 4 females and 7 males for a total of 11 people.

our CrossFit GK team about 12km into the race

I never thought I could do something like this, which is why I wanted to challenge myself.  And now looking back, I can't believe I actually did it!

The obstacles were spread out at various intervals along the 18km race, which took place on an old military base outside of Düsseldorf.  There were people from countries all over the world, and we all helped each other through the obstacles.  If you were giving your teammates a boost over the obstacle, someone else from another team would be behind you to give you a boost.

I can't remember all of the obstacles we encountered, but here are some of them:
Steve stuck with me through the whole race
-monkey bars over water
-crawl through tunnel pipes
-40lb sandbag carries
-crawl through mud under barbed wire
-jump from 2-story platform into ice cold water and swim to shore
-swim under nets in muddy water
-lots and lots and lots of hills!
-climb up net over plank to other side of net and back down again
-balance beams
-run over piles of old tires
-jump over bales of hay
-climbing up and over any and everything you can imagine
-scaling walls that I couldn't reach the top of even with a boost
-run up a quarter pipe
-run through field of hanging ropes with electric shocks


monkey bars
18km is the most I've ever run
jumping over hay bales with Patricia
our team going through the electric-shocked rope field

Here is a short clip that gives you an idea of what the obstacles were like:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=694045760631123

At the finish line, there was a station to hose yourself off.  We had brought shampoo and soap to wash off, but the water was cold!  The mud was caked on my skin and in my hair, so I just had to suck it up and get clean.  Then I showered again (properly) once I got home.

It was an exhilarating experience and an absolutely perfect day.  I had a blast and am proud of myself for being able to do something I never thought possible.


finishing the race with Steve
our Crossfit GK team at the finish line




Post a Comment

Unknown said... June 6, 2014 at 10:50 PM

So proud of you, Val! That looks crazy difficult!

 
Top