| Susi & me in our dirndls |
So, my friend Susi took me shopping to find one. We started off at a department store (yes, they have an entire section of the department store just for dirndls), where I tried on a few different options. My favorite was a cute black one with white polka dots. But, I really wanted a purple one, obviously! And dirndls in the department store are expensive, up to 300€! Thus, we headed down the street to try a different store.
The dirndl consists of 4 parts: a dress, a blouse, an apron, and a ribbon. Some modern dirndls have metal chains with charms on it instead of a decorative ribbon. And most modern dirndls also have a zipper, while the more traditional ones have buttons. One thing I never realized until I went shopping for a dirndl, is that the blouse is not full-length...it only covers the bust!
The next store we found was completely devoted to dirndls and lederhosen, so there were a lot more options. It was a mix-and-match store, so prices varied based on which dress, blouse and apron you purchased. I tried on several more dirndls here, but the winner was a purple one, of course! I found a light purple apron the exact same color of the dress, but it was 40€...so instead I chose a complimentary navy blue apron for only 18€. Susi already had her own dirndl, so she had fun helping me find mine. She also guessed my size right away, apparently I'm a 38 in Germany.| Lebkuchen hearts |
My assessment of Oktoberfest is that everyone should experience it once. Yes, there were many drunk people who obviously came to the event specifically to get wasted. But I would say the majority of people just want to have a good time. There is music, dancing, games, beer, and people from all over the world. I would love to go back some time, but until then...I'll just wear my dirndl at a local festival!
| Lots of people at Oktoberfest! |
Post a Comment
Welcome to Germany and your first experience of Oktoberfest. Looks like a lot of fun.
Glad to know you made it safely!
Post a Comment