0
In front of the bow
In celebrating the 235th anniversary of our nation's independence this weekend, my parents and I went to visit my "grandparents" in the Bay Area.  Although we are not related, Floyd and Billie have been a part of our family since before I was a part of our family.

On the flight deck
My Grandpa Floyd served on the U.S.S. Hornet aircraft carrier during WWII in the Pacific.  Joining the US Navy at age 17, he was in charge of steering a little landing craft, similar to the ones you always see on documentaries of D-Day.  By a series of chance events (although, he would say it was God looking out for him), including his unit being deployed without him, Floyd ended up on the Hornet.  He was called up to the Bridge to begin steering the ship, because he rated as an "expert helmsman," to which Floyd's reaction was..."this ain't no 35-foot landing craft!"  So, at age 17, Floyd was in charge of steering an 876-foot long, ship that weighed 34,000 tons and housed over 3,000 men.

Floyd has so many fascinating stories to share, so I was excited to join him on the ship where it all happened.  He served on the Hornet from 1943 to 1946, and saw plenty of combat during that time, earning a star for each of the 9 battles he was in.  Floyd was also at the helm during a typhoon that caused the ship to list as far as 47° - the only instruction the captain gave him was, "Lad, do something!"
With Floyd at the helm


It is just so incredible to hear about the War from someone who actually experienced it first-hand, so I made sure to record a lot of videos!  Our time on the U.S.S. Hornet with someone who actually served on the ship was the perfect way to celebrate our nation's independence and those who protect it.  We had a wonderful weekend together, and I am so proud to call Floyd Moss, helmsman of a WWII aircraft carrier, "Grandpa"!



Here are just a couple of the amazing stories I captured on video:

Post a Comment

 
Top