This past weekend marked my third visit to Texas. This time, I was not attending a Premier Designs rally, nor was I traveling through the Pan Handle on choir tour. Instead, I simply went to visit my good friend Soren.
We met at the Alumni Office at APU when I started working there almost a year ago. He is my fun, basketball-loving, philosophical, singer/songwriter, flip-flop wearing hippie friend. We don't always agree on things...in fact, we tend to disagree on a lot of things, but we can always find something to talk about. And we really do have fun together.
Soren is now an RD at Howard Payne University in Brownwood, Texas, which is where my adventure took place this past weekend. Brownwood is about 3+ hours from all major cities in Texas--Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio. There is not much in or around the town, which is smaller than Reedley (my hometown). So, the University is where all the fun happens.
Although there was not much activity around Howard Payne over the weekend (at least not compared to the amount of activity over a weekend at Azusa Pacific), we did have a lot of fun. We watched the HPU basketball games, we ate dinner in a train car, and I even got an exclusive concert from Soren and his friend Rachael (their band name is "So Aware")! But the best part of the weekend was getting to meet and spend a little time with Soren's new friends in Texas. It was so nice to be able to put faces and personalities with the names that I've been hearing about for the last few months. It was the warm, friendly, welcoming people who made the weekend a success. I enjoyed meeting every person and just getting to see what life is like for Soren now in Texas. I never thought he would willingly move to the Lone Star State, but one thing about Soren--he not only makes the most of every situation, but he thrives in it.
Thanks for a great weekend in Texas, buddy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment
Post a Comment